11/09/2010

Being Prepared

All of my life I have been taught to be prepared both spiritually and temporally. I have always worked on my spirituality trying to live my Christian values and trying to be a better person. Temporally has always been on the back burner until recently.

I have been counseled all my life that I should have one-year of food storage available in cases of emergency. Not only food, but also getting my house in order, being out of debt, and have a reserve of cash as well. I have always known that I should work on it, but like I said have put it on the back burner.

Recently though, the past 1-2 years I have felt a sense of urgency of getting these temporal affairs in order. It is constantly on mind my mind every day and can't shake it off. Slowly, I have been stocking up on food and water and paying down our debt. My wife and I have made great progress and wish we could do more faster.

I don't know what the future holds or what emergencies will come where if I'm not prepared I'd be up a creek without a paddle, but I am listening to the still small voice that's giving me this sense of urgency and doing what I can to be prepared. Given the current state of our nation and economy I figure it's not a bad idea and would encourage any to do the same.

Here are some great websites I frequent that help with my getting prepared:

www.providentliving.com
www.beprepared.com
www.daveramsey.com (Common sense ideas to get out of debt)

1 comment:

Brooke said...

Great post Evan. Couldn't agree more. 2010 has definitely been about emergency preparedness/food storage/debt reduction for us as well and it feels GREAT!

LIVE THE DREAM! How would you like to make more money, be your own boss, work your own hours, improve your standard of living, and choose the lifestyle you deserve? Click here to learn more.